Grandma Chubby's Stuff

I hope you enjoy my postings. My husband and I are serving a mission in Romania and have had some wonderful adventures. Each of us have experiences in our life that make us different from that time forth. These experiences have done that for us.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Sibiu - The European Cultural City for 2007

One of our stops on our Zone Tour was in Sibiu to do interviews with the missionaries in that city. Sibiu has had the honor of being chosen as the European Cultural city of all of Europe for 2007. They have spent the last year or so painting and fixing up in preparation for all the visitors they expect this year. These are a few pictures of the center of the city. They don't do it justice but I wanted you to see a little bit of the culture and flavor of this ancient city.
President Ashby stands in front of freshly painted buildings. Romanians love color and their buildings are always brightly painted.

These buildings are part of a big Cathedral in the middle of the Centru.

This is a special bridge called the "Liars Bridge". Legend has it that soldiers from World War II wooed the Romanian girls here and promised them they would come back after the war and get them. They never did. And now, as long as you are on the bridge you can tell your sweetheart any lie you want and it is perfectly all right. This is President and Sora Ashby on the bridge....I wonder what he is saying to her!

3 Comments:

Blogger Most Happy Girl said...

Sister Ashby,
My name is Nancy Parker. Elder Ryan Berlin is my nephew. I wanted to thank you for your blog and all the information and photos you have posted here. Unfotunately, there are several pictures that I can't view. I don't know if it's a problem with my server or with the files. I just thought you might like to know.
Thanks, again!
Sis. Nancy Parker

6:53 AM  
Blogger gramcracker said...

Sister Ashby. We loved your blog. Elder Bringhurst is our grandson. We wrote him a letter while he was in the MTC and had it translated by a Bucharest Romanian co-worker at my husbands place of work. She had many question regarding comments in our letter and has since asked many questions. All of her family is in Bucharest. We will forward your blog to her. How the internet has enhanced the missionary effort! Thanks again
Sister Robertson

10:00 AM  
Blogger Jerry Miles said...

Sister Ashby, our son, Ben Miles, just received his call to the Romania Bucharest Mission yesterday (3/29/07). He reports to the MTC on June 20. Your blog is a wonderful source of information about the goings on in the mission. We look forward to reading it regularly! Ben is very excited to join his fellow missionaries, and he will be a terrific addition.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home